Tuesday, October 28, 2008

1) It seems to me that writer's establishing ethos prepare a well organized argument. They state what they want to say in a clear, authoritative manner. Some of them point out the other sides of the arguments, which I think establishes ethos more. The use of quotes helps as well, providing a link to other information, and helping the writer look much more informed about what they are writing about. The writers with believable ethos didn't try to force their ideas, merely state them with conviction. The ones who argued forcefully were, I think, less successful at connecting with their audience.

2) I read an article online about rumors happening in the presidential race. I found it to be funny and quick witted. However, I'm not easily offended. I could see how taking a tone of sarcasm and disbelief towards an audience might harm an author's ethos appeal. The argument of the author was that the rumors aren't true, and pretty much anyone that believes them is an idiot. A little harsh for some people I believe.

6) Hey! Welcome to the Soup. I'm like you. Human. Unlike you, I'm being paid for these mistakes. So, hahaha...hahahah. - Joel McHale- The Soup.

No comments: