Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Collaborative Writing

2. What are you learning in the PWE course you are currently taking? How would you describe your experiences in this course?

In English 301 Writing Theory and Practice, we are currently learning how to analyze the writing of people in the PWE profession. We start by learning their jobs and the different tasks they do, then we observe their work and processes. We're also going to learn interviewing processes and how to observe as well as the ethics of each.
In the class, we read and discussed many texts that discuss different perspectives which will be helpful when we are putting together our final project. We've done activities in class that have helped us learn how to analyze different writer's texts.

Observational writing
*Discussed what the student should know about PWE
-classes-skills
-jobs that you can use the major
Listed off some of the classes and requirements.
Talked out what they were going to say before they wrote and formatted it.
Brainstorming aloud.
Organized their information in a list rather than in paragraph form.
Jesse typed, Mallory provided a lot of good ideas that were added as he wrote.
Formatted as a letter, used their own experiences in the field of PWE to construct it.
Mallory was leaning in to the computer. Both were very focused on what they were writing.
Reread over their work to make sure they had included everything they wanted, added a few more things when they were going over it.

Freewriting
I really observed what the two were saying at the beginning. I focused on the ideas they were coming up with. After a few minutes, I realized I needed to focus on how they were sitting, and how they were formatting their work. It was hard to keep concentration on just observing the two of them when I could hear others around me. I switched my focus several time on their formatting, writing, position to each other, and what exactly they were writing.
I think that if I had been right behind them, I might have observed a little more. I could have saw exactly what was going onto their page and the gestures they were making towards each other. But I think that would have interrupted them if I was that close. I felt that where I was sitting was a fairly good spot and I was not intrusive to their brainstorming.
I tried to make sure that they didn't really notice me staring at them, I just jotted down a few things that really stood out to me.

No comments: